Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Host by Stephanie Meyer




  • Hardcover: 624 pages
  • Publisher: Little, Brown and Company; 1 edition (May 6, 2008)
  • ISBN-10: 0316068047
  • ISBN-13: 978-0316068048
  • Price: $25.99
  • I finished this book on July 8
That's right, lovelies: I'm kicking off my grand return to blogging with a goddam Seal of Approval: this stuff is good.
Okay, so: Stephanie Meyer has been very lucky thus far with her covers, and this one is also good. You can't tell from the picture but the silvery ring around her eye is reflective in real life.
The plot: imagine Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the Body Snatcher's point of view. That's more or less what's happened here. Wanderer, a silvery, feathery alien being has come to Earth after inhabiting many other planets. The invasion of Earth has been underway for a long time and assimilation is almost total. Wanderer is put into the body of a young girl named Melanie, the only problem is Melanie is still inside. And it's not all skipping and playing hopscotch and singing "Kid Sister and Me". Actually, Mel is pretty fucking pissed, and she torments Wanderer with her memories of her previous life and loved ones.
Right off the bat I was in love with the concept of this book. I liked being able to hear it from the alien point of view. But increasingly as you read it you begin to feel equally strong about both girls, and are therefore caught in the same conundrum as Wanderer. The story then takes you a long way away from the typical storylines and expectations the beginning drums up. When I was a little more than halfway through I couldn't believe we'd gotten to where we were.
The other cool part of it is that it doesn't read overly like a romance (Like Meyer's other works, which I effin love with all my heart and soul) and it doesn't really read like a scifi either, even though it's about aliens. It's really more about families, and fitting in and finding your place. Either way it's super good, and even though I called the ending pretty well ahead of time I was totally satisfied with it. And you know I love it when things turn out the way you want them to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Welcome back!)

I just bought Twilight and am really looking forward to reading it. Had The Host in my hand as well and wondered about buying it. I guess, after your review I'll give it a shot. :)

Bridget said...

What a surprise in my feeds this morning! Welcome back!!

I have the advanced reader's copy of this on my bookshelf, but never took the time to read it. I'll have to throw it on my to-read pile now :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

I am thrilled to hear such good things about this book. And you are right, she scores big with her covers, they have all been fantastic.