Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Dream-Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon

  • Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks (February 6, 2007)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0312938810
  • ISBN-13: 978-0312938819
  • I finished this book on Feb. 27
I will admit something, this was one of those books in the checkout aisle at the supermarket, and I had to get it. With this face staring out at me, how could I not? Anywho, it was actually surprisingly cooler than I was expecting.
Arikos is a dream god called a Scotos, a god who has no emotion, except those that he gleans from humans in their dreams. Skoti are a lower class god and they are beaten and abused by the higher classes. The only thing they can feel is physical pain from this. Arikos becomes infatuated with a human woman, whose dreams intrigue him. But when she wakes up he can't feel anymore. So he makes a deal with Hades to become human for two weeks to be with her in real life, but the catch is that he has to kill her and bring her soul to Hades upon his return. He makes the deal without understanding at first, but feels no real remorse because, well, he has no feelings. Megeara, the human Arikos is infatuated with is obsessed with finding Atlantis. So he comes to Earth as a human and tries to help her. It turns out that every other Greek God has a stake in whether or not Atlantis is found, and they come to play having crazy god-brawls all over Greece.
I liked all the stuff about the different Gods, it was neat to see them personified in this story. The writing was clumsy at times, but the story was interesting. All in all, it was cooler than I was expecting. It was not the goofy sexy fluff I was expecting, so that was good. Kenyon obviously has an expansive knowledge of Greece and Greek myths, which she put to good use here, and it gave substance to her story. And wow, her website and myspace that doesn't look like myspace are more crazy nerd goth chick than I am in my wildest dreams. Good times. The best part, kids? She writes vampire books, so yeah...I'll probably read one of those in the future, but I have to read some respected literature pretty soon, or they will revoke my library card.

No comments: